Super Foods are “health speak” for anything that is mega loaded with nutrients. Here’s a little rundown of what we’re looking at:
Kale: THE most nutrient dense food on earth. This stuff has an alphabet of vitamins!
Avocado: An incredible source of healthy fats that your body actually uses as energy. It’s great for your skin, your hair, and will keep you feeling satisfied so you won’t have to keep going back for serving after serving.
Black Beans: full of anti-oxidants, fiber and protein. Skip the wings and fill up on these things.
Feeling this recipe? Let us know below! Also, what’s on your super bowl party menu?
Super Food Quesadillas con Avocado Crema
- 2 cups diced butternut squash (can use pre-cut or prepared from scratch)
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup of fresh goat cheese
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1 cup of baby kale (or spinach)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 4 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
Avocado Crema Ingredients
- 1 cup full fat greek yogurt
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and cubed
- Juice of 1 lime (can swap for a lemon)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro (optional)
Directions Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or tin foil
In a large bowl, season the cut squash with cumin, sea salt, black pepper and olive oil. Spread the squash out on the baking sheet, making sure each piece has room and they are not piled up on each other.
Let the squash roast for 35-45 minutes or until fork tender (fork slips in and out easily)
Meanwhile, make the avocado crema, puree the yogurt and avocado in a blender or food processor until smooth. Then add in the lime or lemon juice, and store in the fridge.
Take three of your tortillas, lay ¼ cup each of goat cheese, black beans, roasted squash and baby kale. The top all three tortillas with an additional tortilla
In a large sauté pan, melt one tbsp. of extra virgin coconut oil. Add quesadillas to pan and proceed to cook over medium heat until golden brown. Flip quesadilla and repeat on other side
Cut quesadillas and serve with a dollop of Avocado Crema and garnish with a piece of cilantro